Skip to main content  
Site Map
Contact
our facebook page
Home

Home
PRIDE IN CONNELLSVILLE CONTEST
CONNELLSVILLE BOOK
NEWSLETTER
About Us
CONNELLSVILLE HISTORY
Officers and Membership
The Gibson House
Braddock's Crossing
Postcards and Photos
PAVILION RENTAL
Items for Sale
Links
Contact Us

TO BE ANNOUNCED
COL. CRAWFORD STATUE

Welcome to the Connellsville Area Historical Society


Gibson House Museum and Archive HOURS:

The Gibson House is generally open Saturdays from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.

Other days and times are by advance appointment. Wednesdays are preferred.

Open Saturday, April 20 and 27 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

May 11, 18 and 25, 2024 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Have a research question? Please email our archivist at CAHSarchive@gmail.com

 Connellsville Area Historical Society Announcements 

April Meeting

Wednesday, April 10, 2024 - 6:00 P.M.


The meeting will be held at the Gibson House, 217 West Patterson Avenue, Connellsville, beginning at 6:00 pm.

Program for the evening will include the annual election of officers for the 2024 - 2025 year.

Who is running for office?

Karen Hechler - President
Debbie Mulaney - Vice President
●Ethan Keedy - Treasurer
●Cloey Anderson - Recording Secretary
●Darcy Gates - Membership
●Benjamin Hoffman - Media

Next, the living historians will discuss what they have accomplished thus far. Then we will hear about their recent trip to MTA. Finally, they will discuss their plans for Braddock's Crossing, 2024



CALLING

NANCY

WILLIAMS

Does anyone know NANCY WILLIAMS? WE RECEIVED THE FOLLOWING INQUIRY 11/2 from her:

Looking for father of Mahala Hatfield Nicholson (1831-1906.)

 

Mahala’s husband was Benjamin F. Nicholson, married in 1853. They have been mentioned as being in Bullskin and Connellsville. Some say her father was William, which is on her death certificate (mother’s name blank.) But by far most researchers say her father was Elias and her mother, Rosanna. Thank you for any assistance you can provide, Nancy

NANCY, YOUR EMAIL IS BROKEN. RETURN ADDRESS DOES NOT WORK. We have information for you if and when you see this.


EVENTS

Announcing the Fall, 2023 Pride in Connellsville Area Poster and Poetry Contest Winners

The purpose of this contest is to develop an interest in local history in students in grades 4-9. 
Students research an aspect of Connellsville Area history and then create a poem or poster 
illustrating that topic. Contest instructions and rules are provided to each public and private school in
the district. 

Winners were invited to a reception where they presented their projects, received their cash prizes, 
and enjoyed refreshments. This reception, which also serves as the Connellsville Area Historical Society's
November meeting, took place on November 15, 2023 at 6:30 pm, at the Connellsville Presbyterian Church. 
Students were photographed for the Daily Courier, and the winning projects appeared in the winter
issue of the Connellsville Crossroads magazine.

 COL. WILLIAM CRAWFORD'S CABIN AT YOUGH RIVER PARK  

    Col. William Crawford, outstanding local pioneer leader, was born in Virginia in 1732, the same year as his good friend, George Washington.  He came to this area in 1758, as an officer of the army of Gen. John Forbes as it marched westward in the second attempt to capture Fort Duquesne at the forks of the Ohio River.  Colonel Crawford was so impressed with the area, he decided to return once the Indian hostilities died down.

    He and his half-brother, Hugh Stephenson, came over the mountains in 1765 on horseback and decided once they reached the second crossing of the Youghiogheny River, at what was known as Stewart's Crossings, now Connellsville, that this was where he would bring his family to live.  He purchased 376 1/4 acres of meadow land in the bend of the river and took his family into the cabin in 1766.  Col. Crawford's name for his residence was originally "Spring Garden" but was widely known as "Crawford's Place" by the locals.  He also had a Spring House on his property, which was torn down in June of 1905.

    The Crawford family: the Colonel, his wife Hannah and their four children lived a very active life on the frontier.  The Crawford family was known for its hospitality.  Included among the visitors were George Washington and Lord Dunsmore, the Governor of Virginia.  In fact, George Washington taught Crawford the art of surveying when they were young men.  Col. Crawford surveyed and purchased land in the local area (Perryopolis) for George Washington.

    Colonel Crawford recruited soldiers for the Revolutionary War from his home on the banks of the Youghiogheny River.  These soldiers saw action in the battles of Long Island, Trenton and Princeton.

    Col. Crawford was with an expedition in 1782 to put down the hostile Indian tribes in what is now Ohio.  He got separated from his army and was captured by Delaware Indians.  He died a horrible death when he was burned at the stake in Upper Sandusky, Ohio on June 11, 1782. 

Colonel William Crawford

Colonel William Crawford

Sign Guest Book  View Guest Book 
1st CITY IN FAYETTE COUNTY, PA

CONNELLSVILLE AREA HISTORICAL SOCIETY
217 West Patterson Avenue
Connellsville, PA 15425


Phone: (724) 628-5344 (K. Hechler)

Phone: ‭(724) 603-3691‬ (S. Lewis)


Email: CHS@connellsvillehistoricalsociety.com

Content, including images, displayed on this website is protected by copyright laws. Downloading, republication, retransmission or reproduction of content on this website is strictly prohibited. 


 


THE History Of Connellsville Streetcars

Historical Society Member Ed Demuth will host a history of Connellsville street cars. 
at the Connellsville Canteen Monday April 29th from 5:30pm-7pm
Reservations are $10 per person
RSVP 724-603-2093
Only 50 Spots Available!


The Unexpected Life of Sareh B. Cochran      SOLD OUT

Friday June 28th @5:30pm-9:00pm

Our Most recent addition to the Crossing weekend is a Dinner-Lecture calling attention to a local historical event or person held Friday evening before the week-end event at Crawford’s Cabin site.

This event will require a reservation.
Amount is $35/ per person
DINNER is Included

This year, 2024, will be the third Dinner-Lecture bringing an acknowledged historian to Connellsville as the kick-off event of the annual Braddock’s Crossing week-end.
This year the speaker will be Kimberly Hess, author of A LESSER MORTAL:
THE UNEXPECTED LIFE OF SARAH B. COCHRAN.
Ms. Hess (Author) will share stories of this amazing woman, Sarah B. Cochran, and her great influence on local history


THE 21ST ANNUAL BRADDOCKS CROSSING

June 29th-30th, 2024

(MORE DETAILS TO COME)

●The actual Crossing of the Yough will be held each day @ 1pm (Depending on the condition of the Youghiogheny.)

●(If the river is too high, swift and muddy, we will not attempt to cross.)

●We Will Have A Crossing (Weather Permitting) (More Details To Come)

Saturday June 29th:
OPENING CEREMONY: 11AM

Sunday June 30th
OPENING: 12PM

●Our Guests This Year:
-Tri Town Historical Society
-Redstone Rangers
-Valerie Skinner

-Shawn Baird (Rifleman)
-Julie Rossington
-The Homestead Bath House
-Stone Forge & Tissage
-Dunbar Historical Society

●Refreshments are available on site both days. The Historical Society has historical items for sale. Come to the River Crossing and support the Connellsville Area Historical Society.


Sign the guest book

Name:
 *
Message: (max 750 characters)
*

* Required Fields